School of Teacher Education
School of Teacher Education
The Teacher Education program offers Bachelor of Elementary Education (BEEd) and Bachelor of Secondary Education (BSEd) with majors in Values Education, English, Filipino, Mathematics, and General Science.
The Teacher Education program aims to:
- Equip pre-service teachers with mastery of content, methods and strategies, and pedagogical research;
- Develop desirable qualities of an effective teacher in the elementary and secondary level;
- Provide opportunities for research, extension, and community outreach activities;
- Engage pre-service teachers in developing innovative instructional materials for effective teaching and learning; and
- Inculcate a deep sense of morality, nationalism and professionalism, and an appreciation of aesthetic and cultural values.
Bachelor in Elementary Education
The BEEd is an undergraduate teacher education degree program designed to prepare individuals intending to teach in the elementary level. The BEEd aims to develop highly motivated and competent teachers specializing in the content and pedagogy for elementary education.
- Demonstrate in-depth understanding of the diversity of learners in various learning areas.
- Demonstrate positive attitudes of a model teacher, both as an individual and as a professional.
- Manifest meaningful and comprehensive pedagogical content knowledge (PCK) of the different subject areas.
- Utilize appropriate assessment and evaluation tools to measure learning outcomes.
- Manifest skills in communication, higher order thinking and use of tools and technology to accelerate learning and teaching.
- Manifest a desire to continuously pursue personal and professional development.
Bachelor in Secondary Education (BSEd)
Degree Program General Description
The BSEd major in is an undergraduate teacher education program designed to equip learners with adequate and relevant competencies to teach in their chosen area of specialization/ major in the secondary level. The BSEd degree program aims to develop highly motivated and competent teachers specializing in the content and pedagogy of secondary education.
BSEd Major in English
- Demonstrate proficiency in oral and written communication.
- Use English as a glocal language in a multilingual context as it applies to the teaching of language and literature.
- Acquire extensive reading background in language, literature, and allied fields.
- Possess broad knowledge of language and literature for effective learning.
- Shows competence in employing innovative language and literature teaching approaches, methodologies, and strategies.
- Use technology in facilitating language learning and teaching.
- Inspire students and colleagues to lead relevant and transformative changes to improve learning and teaching language and literature.
- Display skills and abilities to be a reflective and research-oriented language and literature teacher.
BSEd Major in Mathematics
- Demonstrate competence in mathematical concepts and procedures.
- Exhibit proficiency in relating mathematics to other curricular areas.
- Manifest meaningful and comprehensive pedagogical content knowledge (PCK) in mathematics.
- Demonstrate proficiency in problem-solving by solving and creating routine and non-routine problems with different levels of complexity.
- Use effectively appropriate approaches, methods and techniques in teaching mathematics including technological tools.
- Appreciate mathematics as an opportunity for creative work, moments of enlightenment, discovery and gaining insights of the world.
BSEd Major in Filipino
- Nagtataglay ng kaalaman hinggil sa usapin ng kultural at linggwistikong dibersidad ng bansa.
- Nakagagamit ng iba’t ibang kasanayan at kaalaman sa proseso ng pagtuturo-pagkatuto.
- Nagpapakita ng malawak at malalim nap ag-unawa at kaalaman sa ugnayan ng wika, kultura, at lipunan.
- Nagpapamalas ng mataas na antas ng kaalaman sa pagtuturo ng wika at panitiking Filipino.
- Nakapagdidisenyong malikhain, inobatibo, at integratibong mga alternatibong dulog sa pagtuturo at pagkatuto.
- Nakagagawa ng pananaliksik ukol sa ikauunlad ng wikang Filipino bilang wikang panturo.
BSEd Major in Social Studies
- Demonstrate leadership skills that will help in teaching or training students who will empower their communities.
- Integrate local and global perspectives in teaching the principle of the common good.
- Organize communities towards self-reliance and self-sufficiency.
- Utilize appropriate various socio-cultural and historical materials in explaining current issues.
- Employ principles of sustainable development in teaching and learning.
- Show scholarship in research and further learning.
- Display the qualities of an innovative teacher who has mastery of the subject matter.
BSEd Major in Values Education
- Demonstrate understanding how psychological, moral, spiritual, and socio-cultural shape human values.
- Demonstrate knowledge and understanding of various philosophical and theoretical underpinnings of teaching values education.
- Demonstrate understanding of the Values Education Framework of the K to 12.
- Show passion and commitment in becoming advocates of universal values of openness, peace, tolerance, social justice and respect for human rights.
- Exhibit critical mindedness in analyzing local, regional, national, and global trends and issues relevant to values education.
- Become an exemplar of Filipino values.
- Show understanding of the theories, principles and application of strategies for effective intra and interpersonal skills.
- Demonstrate commitment to students’ development for personal renewal and social transformation.
- Demonstrate competence in employing various pedagogical approaches, methods and techniques for teaching values.
- Demonstrate competence in the conduct research and utilization of results to improve values education.
- Demonstrate in-depth knowledge in developing and using traditional and non-traditional strategies for assessing learners’ performance in values education.
- Demonstrate competence in integrating context appropriate technology to optimize teaching and learning.
- Manifest commitment to community service as a means to promote social values.
- Show reflective skills in applying strong moral and ethical principles in their decisions and actions as values education teacher.