School of Arts and Sciences
SCHOOL OF ARTS AND SCIENCES
Arts and Sciences Program
The Arts and Sciences Program offered under this college is Bachelor of Arts (AB) with majors in History, English, Political Science, and Environmental Science. The program is the study of the Arts with Natural & Social Sciences as well as studies in humanities and other disciplines, intended to facilitate the integral development of an individual in order to enable him/her to effect changes in himself/herself and his/ her environment to realize fullness of human life.
The Arts and Sciences program aims to:
- Provide general knowledge in arts and sciences to strengthen awareness to economics, socio-political and spiritual needs, and demands of the environment;
- Maximize students’ ability to think critically and creatively, to communicate effectively and to act ethically and responsibility in planning, problem solving, and decision making;
- Participate actively in the preservation and enrichment of the desirable elements of cultural heritage for the attainment of quality life;
- Promote peace and value for the dignity and worth of persons in a rapidly changing world and pluralistic society;
- Infuse desirable moral and spiritual values empowered by the Christian faith for a meaningful witness and service.
BACHELOR OF ARTS IN ENGLISH LANGUAGE
Per CMO No. 24 s. 2017
Effective School Year 2018-2019
The courses in the program are designed to integrate theory and practice to prepare the students for effective communication in English in diverse contexts and situations.
Global communication in the twenty-first century is made possible by the use of a language understood by all. That language is English, the medium used in the pursuit of knowledge, the advancement of science and technology, and the development of business and industry. It gives humankind access to the infinite resources of the Internet and thus enables countries to work together to achieve their common goals. New information and research findings are efficiently shared in this international lingua franca.
As an official language in the Philippines, English is used in government and law, education, media, business, and industry. As such, there is a demand for graduates who not only have adequate facility of English but can competently and effectively use the language in different contexts and for various purposes.
The minimum standards for the AB English Language/AB English Language Studies program are expressed in the following program outcomes:
- Articulate a comprehensive and contextualized view of the English language system and development.
- Communicate in English (both oral and written) fluently, accurately, and creatively in diverse social, cultural, academic, and professional settings.
- Facilitate English language learning and use in diverse social, cultural, academic, and professional settings.
- Teach English communication skills using knowledge of best practices.
- Enhance literacy development and critical/creative thinking among students through the use of different types of texts.
- Engage in English language research relevant to the school and workplace settings.