COLLEGE OF NURSING
The College of Nursing offers a program leading to the degree of Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN).
It aims to meet the increasing need for health care and medical services. The graduate of nursing is one who is scientifically informed, socially aware, committed, and technically competent.
The program aims to develop a professional nurse who:
- Manifests a sensitive awareness to the health needs of the society as well as commitment to the alleviation of problems arising thereof;
- Demonstrates the necessary skills, knowledge, and attitudes for the promotion of health, prevention of diseases, restoration of health, and alleviation of suffering; and
- Can assume entry level positions in health facilities or community settings;
- Provides safe, humane, quality and holistic care to individuals: of varying age, gender, and health-illness status; healthy or at-risk families; population groups; and community; singly or in collaboration with other health care provider to promote health, prevent illness, restore health alleviate suffering and provide end of life care.
- Reflects a proper research ethic that, through the use of the nursing process, leads to the beneficial utilization of findings;
Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN) is a four- year program consisting of general education and professional courses. Professional courses are threaded through from the first year thru the fourth year with emphasis on the nursing concepts with corresponding Related Learning Experiences. The BSN program provides on intensive nursing practicum that will refine further the nursing competencies to ensure achievement of the BSN program outcomes required of an entry level nurse.
To ensure the quality of the nursing graduate, the degree is conferred upon the completion of at least four-year BSN program offered by a college, professional institution duly recognized by the Commission on Higher Education. In the Philippines the BSN degree is equivalent to level 6 of the Philippine Qualifications Framework.
The BSN program aims to develop a professional nurse who is able to:
- Apply knowledge of physical, social, natural, and health sciences, and humanities in the practice of nursing.
- Provide safe, appropriate and holistic care to individual, families, population, group and community utilizing nursing process
- Apply guidelines and principles of evidence-based practice in the delivery of care
- Practice nursing in accordance with existing laws, legal, ethical and moral principles
- Communicate effectively in speaking, writing and presenting using culturally appropriate language
- Document, to include reporting up-to-date client care, accurately and comprehensively
- Work effectively in collaboration with inter-intra-multi-disciplinary-and-multi-cultural teams.
- Practice beginning management and leadership skills in the delivery of client care using a systems approach.
- Conduct research with an experience researcher
- Engage in lifelong learning with a passion to keep current with national and global developments in general and nursing and health developments in particular
- Demonstrate responsible citizenship and pride of being a Filipino
- Apply techno-intelligent care systems and processes in healthcare delivery
- Adopt the nursing core values in the practice of the profession
- Apply entrepreneurial skills in the delivery of nursing care